Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pure Heaven! Saltine Cracker Candy


Ok, no, my scrap room is not finished yet... but it's coming along!  The hardest part is cleaning out the things I really don't need... to make room for KISS (Keepin' It Super Simple) with everything at my fingertips.

What I AM going to share with you (Thank you to my scrappin' friend, Rena for her reminder) is my secret weapon for making friends during the holidays!  Bwah ha haa haaaa!  Let's see if it helps my husband get a promotion with this first batch he's putting on his desk to lure everyone to him.  If it works, we'll start calling it Promotion Candy.  :)

Shhhh - only you guys know about it now so feel free to make it your secret weapon, too.

Saltine Cracker Candy


Ingredients:


Saltine Crackers
1 cup of REAL butter (none of this fake margarine, low fat stuff - lol)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
chopped walnuts or crushed peppermint candy (optional)
kitchen timer

1.  Preheat your oven to a toasty 350 degrees!

2.  Line your cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place a layer of saltine crackers on the bottom.  If you have a Pampered Chef large stoneware baking bar pan like me, your crackers will line up perfectly!  (If you need one of these awesome pans and don't have a consultant, let me know, I'd be happy to share mine with you!)


3.  Have your kitchen timer ready.  In a saucepan, melt all the buttah and add brown sugar.  Let it hard boil for 2 minutes.  You can test when it's ready by spooning a small amount in cold water.  If it quickly hardens like candy, it's ready!  I've burned it before, so the timing is essential :)

It almost looks 'fluffy' in a hard boil.
4.  Pour butter and sugar mixture over the saltine crackers spreading evenly with a spatula.


5.  Bake in your oven for 5 minutes.

6.  Remove from oven and immediately pour bag of chocolate chips over the crackers.  Once melted, spread melted chocolate evenly over the crackers.  Optional: sprinkle chopped nuts or peppermints over the top of the chocolate.
YES, the ENTIRE bag!
Nice and mmmm mmmm melty good!

7.  Place pan in the refrigerator (or outside) until cool.  When cool, cut into squares and enjoy thoroughly!!!  Tip:  Once cool, it helps to let the candy sit out at room temp before you cut or you'll get a million pieces.

8. Share if you can manage to pry yourself away from the batch!  LOL!  Our family loves this treat so much that we've learned to even save all the little crumbs and pieces that fall off in the cutting process.  Just put them into a small freezer bag, toss them into your freezer until the summer when you need the most fabulous topping for your icecream :)



I like to pick up the dollar-store Christmas tins, line them and layer in between wax paper to fill them up to hand out to neighbors, teachers and friends.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think or if you have any fun variations you'd like to share!!  I won't bother to wait to hear what your family or friends think cause I think it'll take a while before you let them have any!  Hee hee.

P.S.  Another cheescake episode is coming your way in the next few weeks... stay tuned to see what flavor I decide to bake this year!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, my mouth is watering. I can't wait to try these! I just printed off the recipe so my daughter and I can make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st email I read. WOW! and now you expect me to eat cereal and milk for breakfast??? Not fair.
    Can't wait to try these. TFS. Have a great week and hope the bribe works toward promotion. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY - I am baking mine right now...waiting for the brown sugar and butter to bake into the crackers...could't wait had to try it TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn - this recipe is totally anti-Isa... but I did use organic ingredients... does that count?! LOL! I wonder if I could add IsaDelights instead of chocolate chips.

    Anne, my boys did beg for a piece after breakfast this morning... it's ok.

    My husband came home and said I'm now a supplier and he's the dealer for this 'Cracker crack' - LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin